Simba & Rey bassets sneak peek

Ironic as it is, I had the opportunity to photograph yet two more basset hounds recently. And just like Buster and Sophie, they were a riot. And by riot I don’t mean funny to look at (although there is that too), but I mean super fun personalities, game for anything, really easygoing and easy to please. Hey- kinda like me! lol. Maybe I’d be a basset hound if I were a dog. Minus the droopy eyes.

Rey & Simba: L-R

_mg_0030

_mg_0054

_mg_0078

After we moved out of the bright, bright sun (I realized that at this time of year shooting at 10am is far too bright- summer light crept up on me!), I forgot to change my camera settings in the shade and had a too-slow shutter speed. At first I was miffed that I had these blurry shots, but then I took a step back and laughed out loud. Thought I would share these ‘accidents’ here.:-)

simbareytriptych

I think I rarely show shots like these on my blog, but they are my favorites. Somewhat abstract, with weird depth of field and interesting colors and composition. The ones clients almost never pick, that are more about evoking a feeling or mood than capturing an expression.

_mg_0155

_mg_0174

Basset #1 (Rey)

_mg_0309

Basset #2 (Simba) (doesn’t he look like he’s laughing in this shot?)

_mg_0313

_mg_8833

My favorite kind of ‘human + pet’ shots. Completely, totally, 100% unposed organic.

_mg_8854

_mg_8841

This next shot was just begging for some vintage processing. I was happy to oblige.

_mg_8858

_mg_8879

_mg_8889

_mg_8895

_mg_8899

Just *had* to get the basset feet and belly.

_mg_8905

_mg_8915

Hope you enjoyed Simba & Rey! Christine and Chris thank you so much for your patience with me! I had a fantastic time with you guys and the boys, and can’t wait to show you all of their images. Full gallery online in 2 days!:-)

1. nick posted the following on July 7, 2009 at 11:45 pm.

ahah great way to start with the flying ears and eyes :D Those calmer home shots are lovely too!

2. tamandra posted the following on July 7, 2009 at 11:50 pm.

omg omg OMGGGG!!! Those are so freaking cute! And gorgeous! I bow to you, Jamie! I bet you died laughing when you viewed those crazy eyed running at you ones! Hilarious!

3. Tom posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 5:26 am.

Just lovely.

4. Samara posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 5:30 am.

You captured so many expressions with these two! I’m sure their parents will appreciate that as they know each one and no doubt love them all. I also like the little details like the ones of their leg and paw or the other showing both of your backs from above. You do amazing work!! And what a fantastically fun subject matter. Beautiful!

5. april posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 5:45 am.

These are hilariously awesome! Look at those droopy ears and eyes, love them all!!

6. Laura posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 6:53 am.

Love those cute droopy eyes! What sweethearts!

7. Pat posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 10:25 am.

WoW! Bassett action shots. The colors are gorgeous and the profile shot is really stunning. and then there’s the one with the “get that camera out of my face” look. Very fun!

8. Jill Beninato posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 10:47 am.

perfect….love those ears and soulful expressions…

9. digitalmuzzle posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 2:37 pm.

i love these shots! the ones with the dogs running, open mouthed and wild eyed at the camera totally made my day!!!

10. Chris posted the following on July 8, 2009 at 4:46 pm.

Jamie! You made our day! What fabulous work with the boys! We knew they were comedians but to see it thru your eyes made it even more enjoyable. We love every single one of them. Thank you!!! Chris & Chris

11. Karen & Erik posted the following on July 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm.

Chris & Christine –

Both Rey and Simba are rock stars!!! I must say Rey is definatley a HAM :) They are so adorable and the photos are amazing; capturing the full essance of “the basset hound”. I look forward to hanging out with you both and the boys soon!!!! Margaritas, mojitos and something for Rey and Simba!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Karen Kost posted the following on July 23, 2009 at 10:51 am.

Rey and Simba are playmates of my FOUR miniature schnauzer babies and we all love chasing after balls ( and squirrels and baby bunnies).
    I have to confess, I thought Simba and Rey were handsome but you were able to capture the inner beauty of these wonderful dogs. Need to call you to arrange for a “sitting”!